Skip to main content

Memoirs that Hurt

Since I started this blog a few months ago, I've been reading the humorous memoirs of other writers. I was curious what they spoke about, how much they confided to their readership, etc. Most of the memoirs reveal insecurities, bad decisions, and other frailties, but one writer admits to having great self esteem. And I believe she is correct in her self assessment.

The more I thought about this strength, the greater my envy grew. I've always wanted to earn self esteem but I've thrown down so many obstacles in my path that I'd have to be an Amazon to hurdle them. Of course many psychiatrists have told me that people don't have to "earn" self esteem--it's part of the package of being human. You get free will, usually a fairly healthy body and a brain that respects your abilities and accepts your defects.

I must have gotten onto the wrong line when "esteem packages" were being handed out since ever since I was a kid, I've lacked confidence. I remember when my favorite expression was "I've got so many problems, even my problems have problems." It really isn't funny in any sense of the word, but I do recall that my sister got a big rush out of it. I guess this was part of her OCS (only child syndrome). Never give an inch to the other guy, even if she's your one and only sister.

Have you ever been lucky enough to have one person in your life you can count on to bolster your self esteem? Well, until my husband came along, I had no one. Mom tried a bit, but her gestures were feeble at best. Once I remember her saying, "Your sister is pretty, but you're attractive." Obviously that maternal evaluation was supposed to pump me up, but somehow it didn't. "Attractive" (if she really meant even that) seemed the ugly step sister to Cinderella's "pretty."

Meanwhile my father recused himself from the case--there was no help there except when I'd overhear him bragging to others about me. When it suited him and he needed something to inflate his ego, he did defer to his daughters. As a dentist, he practiced in a wing added onto our old colonial home. Sometimes if I were sitting nearby (in the kitchen, which led to the dental wing), I'd hear a few positives about myself: that I was a teacher, that I had married well, etc. Somehow, though, it was hard to believe his brags since I felt they were conveniences rather than praise. He needed me to be a five-star daughter, but since I lacked the necessary components, he would play pretend. At least that's how it came across to me.

Basing my self esteem exclusively on family and teachers (grades) was my downfall; it also was a habit that I still find hard to break. I'm always looking for compliments but when I receive them, I often don't  believe them. Editors are notoriously stingy about positives and they don't give you grades like in school. I sometimes wish that life graded you on a daily basis because then I might have a fighting chance for self esteem. For me, the grading system helped buffer the zero credits I received from family members.

But enough whining! I still have many other memoirs to read, and with any luck, I'll download one that matches me to a T. Misery loves company--it's a cliche I both hate and love. But my options are few: I don't think I'm going to win a Nobel Prize for Literature, I'm definitely not going to qualify for membership in Mensa (the high-IQ club), and the universe has made it eminently clear to me that emotional intelligence trumps IQ every time.

So unless I win the lottery or hear from David Sedaris or some other celeb that The Dysfunctional Family is the best thing since sliced bread, I probably will have to bear the discomfort of perusing certain memoirs that hurt like hell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The