Skip to main content

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos.

Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is that we weren't a casual family who twirled nicknames and sweet talk like they were batons and we were in a parade.

I never fully articulated it, but I would have given up a lot of adolescent revelry to get a nickname. I was a teenager and everything revolved around me. So why didn't I have a nickname? It had to be because of something that I did, didn't do, or lacked. That's how teens think, you know. I took its absence as another indication that my parents and by extension my friends did not have tender thoughts of me.

 There was nothing under my parents' exterior except a critical layer followed by another critical layer. They figured I was nothing but a poor excuse for a top college wannabe freshman. They were wrong. The only reason I applied to top schools was lack of confidence and the need to be validated by the academic and admissions process.

When it came time for senior class pictures for the high school yearbook (and the ridiculous errata that usually goes under the photo), I felt so unsure about myself that it was necessary to come up with a nickname even though my good friends would know it was bogus. There was that entry on the questionnaire that asked if I had a nickname. I felt that if I didn't have one, it was tantamount to being a nerd (only back then it wasn't a nerd, it was a fink, a teacher's pet or a drudge). So I used the name "Jan." I hated it then and I still hate it. No one has ever called me that, and I think that's because I'm not the friendly, fun-loving, extrovert that this nickname is associated with.

Of course there are worse things than struggling through life without a punchy nickname. What about all the kids who got stuck with names like "Sissy," "Maxie," "Jo-Jo," or "Daffy"? Better to have no nickname than a stupid or subtly derogative one.

What's your nickname? Who gave it to you? Comment on this please.


Comments

patricia said…
Haha - when people ask me for my nickname, I tell them it's Patricia. Never had/wanted one, and woe to anyone who calls me Pat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga