Skip to main content

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners





I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it.

This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart.

Wait a second--did she just say that pets are somehow bad for you? That can't be right. She must be losing it!

Well, let me supply you with my #rationale: Most of the time pets are great little practical nurses. They sniff out cancer, they help kids read, they curl up with sick or senior patients, they track down lost kids, the list goes on and on, and if you want proof, contact The Delta Society in Washington state. But although I wouldn't spend a day without my six dogs and two cats, I can tell you there have been times when their high jinx have #scared the willies out of me, sending my blood #pressure into the stratosphere along with my anxiety level. Let me count the ways.

1. As a first-time dog owner, I was ignorant of most everything #doggie. This I blame on my parents, who refused my repeated requests for a puppy when I was a child. So the first time I physically had a dog was when my husband and I moved from our apartment to our first home. My little "Maude" came from a reputable breeder, which should have eased my worries, but somehow I managed to ramp up my #fears to a #ferocious level. About three hours after the pup was dropped off at our house,  I stationed him in our empty living room with food and water. (I had run out during my school lunch break and bought all the basics such as dishes, toys and a collar.) We had papered the floor with newsprint so we weren't concerned about his urinary output damaging our hardwood floors. And as #puppies do, he whizzed a lot, and this is where everything went wrong.

I noticed that wherever he peed, there were red blotches. Click went my #nervous brain, and I was immediately on high alert.  "It's blood," I screamed to my husband, who also lacked for canine experience. I was convinced that somehow Maude had a #urinary infection that was causing her to bleed. So naturally I did the normal hysterical thing: I called the breeder.  She listened to my tale of woe without saying a word, which of course was to her credit. However  I interpreted this as proof positive that my four-month-old #dog was dying.

When the #breeder did speak, she said, "Janice, get a cup, fill it with water, and drip a little on the newspaper." I did what she said even though I thought her answer bizarre at the very least. "What do you see?"

What do I see, I repeated to myself. By now I thought the breeder was beyond eccentric and halfway to crazy. But I humored her and walked back to the corner where I had dribbled water.

As I stared down at the newsprint. I felt like the biggest jerk alive. I also felt relieved. Evidently chemistry was the enemy and not some rare puppy virus. When wet, the colors of the newspaper changed to a reddish hue. My "blood diagnosis" was about as far afield as you could get.

This would not be, however, the first time an animal activity would cause a profound (though short-lived) effect on my physiological being. 2. Fast forward about a dozen years and now I'm a relatively experienced dog owner. #Cloistered in my office tapping out an article on my computer, I heard a deafening silence, which did not bode well with three dogs. Something was awry and it took me only a quick look to reveal the source of my growing panic. The #quartz chess set I had bought in Mexico was scattered all over the living room carpet. Okay, I #surmised, the kids were playing with what struck them as a new toy.

Not until I recovered all the pieces and noticed a rook (a castle) was missing did I learn that I had a big problem. I rightly concluded that one of my pets--at the time I had a collie, two schnauzers and a nine-month-old lab-- had swallowed the missing chess piece. But I didn't know who. About then I started to hyperventilate and think about fainting. But fear also triggers action. Although I was tempted to call 9-1-1 and declare a red code alert, I called my family vet, who said to bring the dog over.

 "But I don't know which dog to bring," I #wailed. "Then bring them all," he said. I eventually had to bring the "Tres Amigos" and we discovered that the culprit was the puppy lab. Fortunately the vet was able to calm me when he agreed that #expensive surgery wasn't necessary and he intended to get the pooch to barf up the piece, which, according to the x-ray, was in two easy-to-upchuck pieces in his stomach. The vet was better at his job than I was at my dog sitting, and within minutes the rook was tossed up.  This heart-stopping caper was heretofore known as "The Crook Who Took the Rook."
3. One summer we took the dogs and cats to San Diego to cool off from the Arizona heat. Everything was going smoothly in our rented apartment, and I was relaxing in the den watching TV when a tail went by.  #Outside.  In the yard. Near the gate. It was a tail--of the hairy kind. #Serendipity at just that very moment had prompted me to glance over to the pair of windows adjacent to the door. It took only a few seconds for the sight of a furry tail to register as "not normal." I then gave a yelp and opened the door to see my tri-colored tabby debating whether to jump over the fence or stay put and explore the yard. Somehow the cat had pushed in the screen in the room where I had located her and escaped without my hearing anything. 4. Next anxiety-provoking event came when the same tri-colored feline pulled a fast one on me in the laundry room . I was transferring wet clothes from the washing machine to the dryer, tossing them in while thinking of 1,001 other things. Upon completion of my task, I turned on the dryer and was rewarded by several loud thumps. I figured the machine was on the fritz. But no! By mistake the cat had crawled into the dryer and had never exited. My pulse soared and my stomach did flip flops as I extricated the now-dazed kitty from his amusement park ride. Although I agonized over possible  long-term health repercussions from her roller coaster ride, the cat seemed to come through it without a hitch. I, on the other hand, took a xanax and retreated to the couch. 5.This time my tri-colored collie, Clara, was responsible for rendering me speechless and stupefied. In the bad old days I used to thaw meat in my kitchen sink. (Ssssh, don't tell anyone) I had never had a problem except for one time when I came home to find an empty styrofoam plate and some plastic wrap on the floor. With her long elegant nose that she used for poking other dogs to do her bidding, Clara had somehow lifted up the package of raw chicken and deposited it onto the floor where she #guzzled the pieces down, probably with two or three healthy swallows. Fortunately I did know that raw meat generally agreed with dogs-- they weren't vulnerable to salmonella like people--so I didn't worry about #diarrhea and other digestive problems. But still, there was the factor of bones. Clara could choke or the bones could splinter and do internal damage.  Except I remembered--only after an agonizing five minutes of #mental torture--that these were chicken filets, deboned and therefore safe. Except for the problem of what we would eat for dinner, the situation had resolved itself successfully.

So there you have it. The flip side to how therapy dogs and companion animals bring health and well being to owners and patients. For a worrisome soul like me, these incidents had the potential to evoke massive depression, but as it turned out, the worst never happened.

Comments

Muhammad Hassan said…
Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. dogs
Ash Green said…
It was really insightful.
Thanks for the info.
Wanna have more contents from you.
Cheers
BTW if anyone interested more have a look view More thanks

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do