Skip to main content

The One That Got Away




Have you ever #dated or met someone you wanted to know better, but either the feeling wasn't reciprocated or logistics precluded the continuation of the #relationship?

I have, and recently it's been cropping up in a not-so-great way at all times of the day and night. Perhaps by writing the story for public #consumption I can accomplish two things: share a human reaction many people experience and purge the feeling once and for all.

It's about a summer #romance and a guy, but you probably knew that already. A friend of the #family introduced us when I was 19 and he was about 26. (Let's call him Ted because I have neutral feelings about this particular name.)

For me, Ted was the physical embodiment of all my fantasies of what a good-looking guy was. I always preferred the cute types to the #muscle-bound. Although his hair was already thinning a little and he didn't have the toned #physique of someone who worked out at the gym, I was charmed by his aquiline facial features and #sexy smile.



At the outset I knew it would never last. This was a guy who dated a lot of girls and was not afraid to mention that. Because of our age difference and probably due to my lack of self-confidence, he frequently criticized me and suggested I do some things differently. For instance, I'm  sure he dis- liked the way I wore my hair, but during the muggy NJ summers I had a problem with hair frizz and an over-curly appearance. It didn't help that since I was a counselor at a day camp, I was always subject to "water damage." I also dressed conservatively, even wearing pantyhose on hot summer evenings. Never called pretty--even by my family--I might be considered attractive by the male #sex if I dressed becomingly and used the right makeup.

The one sure thing I had going for me, however, was my figure. At 5' 4" and 110 pounds, I could wear form fitting clothes and look svelte. For some reason, my complexion was devoid of #acne that summer, so I didn't have to worry about pimples (I would, however, be tortured by the scourge of acne after our breakup and for the next several years.) All in all, I looked pretty good.

Our courtship was comprised of once-a-week dates to concerts, plays and the like, but Ted never spent much money on me. He never took me to dinner or surprised me with flowers. He never called just to talk or sent me a funny card in the mail. I got the feeling that he considered his presence alone to be ample reward. I also don't remember receiving any compliments from him on my appearance or my career ambitions. We talked about everyday events, nothing too profound or challenging. I was taking a Biology class that summer before my senior year in college because I needed it to graduate, but I don't remember if we talked about my studies or how I was balancing work and school. I do remember that when I was sick with tonsillitis, I kinda shamed him into dropping by for a visit. I put on my sexiest baby doll pjs and let nature take its course.

Perhaps the break-up is not the only reason I continued to think about Ted after his abrupt and unwanted departure from my life. He was my first #lover, introducing me to sex in a simple, uncomplicated way. Of course I equated the physical intimacy with emotional intimacy, but I also knew I was deceiving myself. Later, good judgment kicked in, and I knew Ted wouldn't be there for the long haul. But no one likes to be shafted, kicked over into the gutter like so much garbage. I had invested much of myself in the relationship, and I wanted to get something more out it than a limp goodbye. I desperately wanted--and needed--to be a winner, but in a matter of seconds, I became a loser.

Ted knew nothing of my #mental problems except what he might be able to infer from my behavior. Looking back, I think he pigeonholed me as a timid young woman with little life experience and some odd introverted and bookish ways. That our relationship lasted four months probably was more a matter of convenience than desire on his part. On the other hand I have to give him credit for postponing the break-up until after my student teaching assignment ended. He probably figured that would be a trauma that would negatively impact my performance. Ted prided himself on doing the "right thing," only his idea of the right thing was not always noble. In any case only a miracle could have spared me from the horrors of my student teaching program. Ted had nothing to do with what I perceived as boring day-to-day instruction and the distaste of working with #unmotivated, unruly children.)

To be continued next time....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga