Skip to main content

Medical Melanoma Alert: Better You than Me!

I'm disgustingly average. I can get off on someone else's medical misery, say a hip replacement or orthopedic surgery, but I'm god-awful afraid when it comes to my own health woes.
Which is why I don't go to the doctor too often or submit to colonoscopies, MRIs, mammograms, urinalysis, gynecological exams, bloodwork, or any other 21st century diagnostic tool.

 I figure the less information collected, the less everyone has to worry about. And it works for me, except in the area of dermatology.When I was younger, I cried and carried on--and also went regularly to the dermatologist--due to acne. And it wasn't the easy, primetime Hollywood type where you look in the mirror and see a zitz and say, "oh my!" and squash it with a tweezer or something equally unhygienic. Oh no, I had to get the full-blown variety. I never actually counted the number of pimples or blackheads, but they had to fight for room on my face. It was what you'd call a mob scene. Naturally my older sister had a mild case, and my friends didn't seem to be among the afflicted. Perhaps they were the precocious types that fought the good fight in high school. I don't know because if there's one thing teens don't kid about, it's their faces. So, while I was duking it out with my zitzes, they were probably signing up for nose jobs and ear pinnings.

Not only did my blemishes have an all-over oozing look of red blotchiness, but I even hurt when I washed or applied the expensive topical ointment the doctor gave me. Nothing was too good for my acne. Between the vitamins and the antibiotics and, of course, the office visits, I must have spent a fortune on my face and not in a good, spa-facial kind of way. I got ultraviolet and dry ice treatments on a biweekly basis, and the doctor indulged in a bit of pimple picking himself. Since I was not one of his best behaved patients (oh, thank you dear doctor dermatologist for your efforts on my behalf), he fired me when I got married. His stated reason? Well, you got a guy now, so you can let your face go to wrack and ruin. He actually said that in not so many words, but I was too young and stupid to realize how unethical he sounded. So I quit the medical "aid" cold turkey and turned my face over to God and the pledge to never eat chocolate and fries.

The only mildly interesting part of going to the doctor was the waiting room. I never saw another acne patient--did they hide them in special cupboards? Everyone's face looked perfect--no pimples, no red skin from dry ice applications, no prescribed antibiotics clutched in their hot little fists, no nothing. I consoled myself by rationalizing that they probably had bigger fish to fry than pimples. Hideous things I only had read about like psoriasis and gasoline burns.

Well, I'm back in the dermatologist's office again and have been for the past 20 years. It seems that when I was sunbathing on the New Jersey beaches in my twenties in a vain attempt to cook those sucker pimples to a quick death, I was subjecting myself to too much UV light. The result? Skin cancer. Buckets of it. My dermatologist--let's call her Susie Psoriasis examines my body in minute detail every six months and likes to slice and dice at least once a year. I've had dozens of in-house surgeries for my legs, arms, thighs, even my ankle. Fortunately these were all basal cell cancers that I could joke about. "Oh another one," I'd say to Susie. "I guess my bikini days are over! Wouldn't want to scare those life guards at the Royal Hawaiian!"

I managed to joke my way through a ton of surgeries until Susie said the magic word: melanoma. She said the lab wasn't sure what this particular skin biopsy was. Oh great, I thought. If they don't know, and Susie doesn't know, what's my option? Google? How's a person supposed to react? Well, when in doubt I revert to semi-hysteria. I remembered a friend who had something similar, but I only half recalled her fears and anguish since it wasn't happening to number one, so big deal! Yup, that's how I think, and that's how a lot of people are. If it's not happening to them, then they don't want to hear about it, spare the details and let's go have a beer. I was not that bad, but since she had a baby doll complexion,  blue eyes and blonde hair, I was less than sympathetic. Call me crazy (which I am) but don't call me overly empathetic.



The maybe-it-is-maybe-it's-not part of the melanoma diagnosis stuck in my throat so bad that I obsessed for hours and asked everyone I knew if they had ever received even the hint of a melanoma diagnosis (for those who lack the portable Grey's Anatomy on their book shelf, melanoma is the worst skin cancer you can get--highly unpredictable and very aggressive).
I gathered a few personal experience stories, but none that quieted my nervousness.
My new dermatologist was stone faced and went about slicing and dicing the melanoma-like lesion, and she did a top-notch job. The pathologist said I have clean margins, which are two words I never before thought of as sexy. So I think I'll stick with Dr. C for the remainder of my life since I'll probably accumulate a few dozen more skin lesions before I kick the bucket. Makes me almost miss the days of wine and acne!


  Is this not truly disgusting? I'm such a badass it's something I would wish on my worst enemy.
And below the instrument tray, here's what the surgery setup looked like. Like a prison execution, wouldn't you say? All they needed was the magic needle and assembled witnesses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do