Skip to main content

Ch. 19 How to Neutralize an OCS Kid

Parents, babysitters, nannies and even child haters, gather round. Don't dissolve into a puddle if you should discover you have an OCS child. Look on it as an opportunity to diversify your parenting skills.

First, assume that your OCS child wants to attain power since that's their main goal. Accept this goal as legitimate. Some degree of power is healthy and normal as long as the other children and parents in the family do not feel compromised. Take my family situation, for example. The OCS sib was four years older and made good use of this advantage--for example she used her musical talent as a power-seeking missile to plunk out pop tunes on the piano by ear and earn respect and popularity. On the other hand her sib--me in this case--could not compete with this musical prowess. The closest I came to it was singing, and since this calmed me and I could carry a tune, I would wake early in the morning and hurry over to my rocking chair where I'd sing and hum as only a three-year-old can. Although this skill was praiseworthy, the OCS sib quickly picked up on the parent's positive reaction and added singing to her piano accompaniment. Her competitive nature reacted similarly when we both tried our luck with ballroom dancing, croquet and tennis/badminton.

What should my parents have done to neutralize my OCS sib? A lot of things, but one in particular: They should have eliminated harmful competition in the home. Cooperative activities should have become the force driving relationships even theirs. Instead of treating the OCS as though she was a Van Cliburn in training, the parents should have opted for a more realistic attitude. Instead of fantasizing about their eldest child becoming a concert pianist--despite evidence to the contrary (the OCS did not enjoy practicing scales and classical pieces)--they should have displayed her awards, clapped politely after impromptu performances and encouragee the OCS sib to teach her sister a few basic tunes on the piano. That pattern of cooperation vs. competition would have helped to neutralize things.

This one parenting strategy applied in other areas as well could effectively put a stop to unwanted OCS behaviors.

 For instance, my OCS sib went to Hebrew school and due to her scholarship and singing abilities was able to snag a solo when she had her Bat Mitzvah. The ceremony took place in a beautiful temple with architectural embellishments that made the congregants feel inspired and even more spiritual. The ceremony was followed by a catered reception at a private hall. No expense was spared. Although I got to wear a beautiful new dress, I was not attending Hebrew school due to certain logistics and my own fears of not living up to the high standard my OCS sib had set. Thus another lavish reception in my honor was not anticipated and this fueled my depressive temperament. Later on when other emotional problems surfaced, my parents tried to backpedal by researching private schools and religious training, but the damage had already been done.

What should they have done? Well, I'm no psychologist, but following the competitive vs. cooperative theory and knowing my own emotional hangups, the parent should have asked the OCS sib to help involve her younger sib by rehearsing her solo and explaining its meaning. This might have accomplished two things: I might have felt more important and participated vicariously during the OCS sib's temple performance, and I might have become less afraid of learning the Hebrew language and its traditions . I might then have elected to get religious training. Of course this presupposes that my parents would have been able to persuade my sister to take me under her metaphorical wing and act more as a teacher than a competitor, (Ironically my sister trained to become a French teacher in college and held this position in a NJ high school until she retired after 20 years.) Her teaching abilities were there. All the parents had to do was to coax them out.

Repeating this cooperative approach in the family should help sibs respect and like each other more and even more importantly, limit the psychological damage. Because my parents did not neutralize the OCS sib, I grew up trying to compete with a sib who was always four years older (and smarter) and predisposed to have a more resilient personality.

Next time: The Case of the Monster OCS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga