Skip to main content

Part 5: Only Child Syndrome and Adults

By the time the OCS person has reached the age of majority, he has developed a self-nurturing lifestyle that can mimic caring. Don't be fooled. This is mere pretense. OCS people do not change their modis operandi. Underneath that calm, smiling exterior lies repressed animosity and it surfaces in subtle ways. Take, for instance, my sib. As a twenty-something, I go to a singles dance and meet a neat guy who's in med school but also working in a pharmacy. For some reason we land back at my house, and I foolishly introduce him to my mother and sib. Anyone with half a brain could see I was attracted to this guy and wanted some "alone" time with him, but my sib monopolizes him, and somehow this would-be romantic opportunity runs aground.

On the surface the OCS sib appears to be acting hospitably, but there's a flirty quality to the conversation that I pick up on.If my mother, who is also in the den where we have congregated, notices anything, I would be surprised. Although married, my sib still wants the attention of every male in a 200 foot radius. The fact that I attracted this guy only ups the ante. She cannot stand playing the role of a doting older sister; this is not part of her personality. She must compete at all costs and steal this guy's interest right from under my nose. She succeeds. I never hear from him again. (Please note that this insight into my OCS sib came in hindsight--about 20 or so years after the actual event.)

Another example that I fail to accurately interpret at the time takes place at an engagement party to which the entire family is invited. By this time my married OCS sib has two small children and a husband with a respectable profession. They join the party--my engagement party--but my OCS sib spends the majority of the evening fake worrying about her children, who are home with the babysitter. She disturbs what should be a joyful evening for me and my fiance and turns the focus on her and her manufactured problem. To guarantee that everyone is distracted from my celebration, the OCS sib calls her home every hour or so and makes sure all the guests overhear her remarks. If she was really that worried, she would have returned home, but, no, how can she live up to her reputation as an OCS adult if she goes home.

At the time I was annoyed at my OCS sib's behavior but I never attributed it to a competitive drive that surpassed all other appropriate emotions. I thought it was thoughtless of her to put a damper on an evening I had looked forward to, but I never believed she saw me as a potential threat to her own self worth.

From here on in, think "subtle." What other OCS-induced behaviors can you look forward to? Family photos mysteriously disappearing from the parental home, for one thing. For the OCS adult possession is not only nine-tenths of the law but also proof positive that she calls the shots in this family. Other behaviors? Snide remarks about career goals like "It's good that you know your limitations. You're just too nice to your dogs--that's why they act up at shows." Backhanded compliments ("See, you finally followed my advice and succeeded") are common as are omissions of honors such as an invitation to be the god mother of your niece or not calling or seeing to wish a sister and brother-in-law to wish them well in their out-of-state move.

Next time we'll profile one OCS adult and brainstorm possible ways to mitigate the damages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga