Skip to main content

Funerals Need to be Fun

There's a growing trend to make funerals livelier, "celebrations of life." That's okay for the most part unless the person whose life is being honored has been in jail, abused pets, or killed a lot of harmless creatures like geckos, ants, spiders, and flies. You know who these people are. They usually giggle a lot, especially when they hear about a new antidefoliant like Agent Orange (not so old, but way bad1)They look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouth, but underneath that hard exterior is a confusing tangle of nefarious motivations.

But back to the fun at funerals goal. I'm going to a funeral today and I hardly know the deceased. His significant partner is someone I casually know from a club that I quit because most of the members were a-holes. So I have mixed feelings about attending a service for an unknown person when the other attendees are people who cheered when I finally quit the club or made it possible for me to quit without giving a hoot. Hope you got that because there's no way I'm gonna repeat it.

Life is complicated, which is why death needs to be simple and fun. What I propose is a little Rod Serling-ish and sci-fi. But so what! I can hope, and all the great philosophers in the world recognize hope as an eternal truth even if you're bigtime ugly and wear pinafores. Here is my hope: In the near technological future, deceased people should be instantly zapped into tasty cookies that mourners can all partake of. Something like chocolate chip, peanut butter, or oatmeal are my suggestions. That would kick off the funeral with a good taste in your mouth for the deceased even if you didn't know him or her from Adam (that's a crazy idiom, and one I wouldn't vote for!). The cookies could be served at an outside picnic area, say a park or someone's backyard. I don't know about you but if I eat a cookie outside and wash it down possibly with some lemonade, iced tea, or some such beverage, I'm gonna be in a decent mood. I wouldn't go so far as to say my mood is happy, but it's far from miserable.

If people are busy crunching on cookies, they won't give in to negative expressions of grief, like crying, rushing the coffin and throwing themselves on it, or any of those borderline-nutty behaviors I've observed or heard about through the media. Now, if you accompany that tray of cookies with a photo album or video show of the deceased and what he did for his family, community, or Koko, his pet Mastiff, then you're entering the Land of Enchantment. If Disney were to name it, it would be called Eternaland, a happy place where people go because no one has room for them any more on Planet Earth.

To add to the fun in Eternaland, families with more discretionary incomes could hire bands, invite a whole lot of kindergarten classes (so the cookies will go faster since adults are generally on diets and may turn down the cookies, which would be bad for the deceased since there might be a lot of leftover cookies/body parts ). The idea is to consume all the cookies so the whole person of the deceased can enter Eternaland and not just his head and limbs. I don't want to say anymore about this aspect because it can get disgusting and conjure up images of blood and gore, even scrambled brains.

Party on mourners! That would definitely be the slogan I would use. Once the cookies were gone, we could all join hands and say a few prayers or tell a few dumb stories about the deceased.There's always a few dumb stories to tell even for the so-called genius deceased who did marvelous things like invent a cure for heat rash or clone a new Beatles foursome. The idea would be to jolly up the proceedings with funny anecdotes that would aim at cheering up the mourners so they would leave the "celebration of life" feeling like the cookies were really laced with grass (marijuana for you oldsters) and they had just downed a bottle of vodka. They would feel that happy, but of course you wouldn't have to really purchase the grass or the booze because it would be a mind thing, so not real.

Today's funeral is not going to be like this. I'm pretty sure it'll be the usual display of dead corpse, weeping spouse/significant other, and religious gobbledygook. Even if you didn't know the deceased or any of the mourners, you'd probably end up feeling sad and miserable, which is why I don't go to many funerals. Pets have almost got it right. What with the cremation and the returned little cedar box, you almost feel like you've won a precious medal or something for maybe cleaning their rear ends for 10+ years, feeding them that stinky wet food, or just crooning your favorite tunes to them whenever the spirit moved you. "How much is that doggie in the window? Woof Woof.

But no one seems to be working on a biotechnological solution for death, so the cookies thing may never come true. But if it does, I want to go to Eternaland as a thoroughly eaten and enjoyed Gingerbread Girl. Just don't laugh too loud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga