Skip to main content

Sorry for the Absence of Humor

Ha-ha! I bet you thought, by the above title of this post, that I was apologizing for not being as funny as, say, David Sedaris or Woody Allen. But I'm not apologizing. No siree, not anymore. I was just re- stating the obvious: that I'm been absent from this blog for too long. I had a good reason. I was tying up loose ends on my new book, Infertility Treatments, which will be published in June by ABC-CLIO/Greenwood. No, it's not funny, especially the chapter on costs but it's particularly nasty for people struggling to birth babies ("I don't know anything about birthin babies, Miss Scarlett").

But let's get back to that business of apologizing. Could be that I'm really inept as a humor writer, but I don't think so. So why apologize then? After all I have some humor credits even though I never made it on McSweeneys (but then who does?) But there's always the slim possibility--and I really mean paper thin--that you, the reader, think I'm absolutely without a doubt inept as a humor writer. Now that matters, but it's still not a reason to apologize. Because if I'm really, really inept, then it's not my fault. It's my parents' fault. They got together with their uniquely weird set of genes and decided to create another living manifestation of their love. (I don't think that was the real reason, but inasmuch as they're not here to contradict me, I can and will think whatever I want. I love it how death gives you a lot of great freedoms, especially if you're not the deathee.)


 Anyhow, back to my parents' fault. Without any regard whatsoever to my future career possibilities and quality of life, they just came together and did the dirty deed. Maybe they hoped I would have a good sense of humor, especially in lieu of the facts: a. I was being thrown into a home with another older and smarter sibling who played dress-up every day of the week, masquerading as the "only child." b. I was being thrown into a house where they allowed birds to piss and poop all over their cages but were terrified of animals with four feet--ie cats and dogs--as well as progeny with brain tissue. c.I was going to have to go through life as a person with questionable looks--e.g. a large, bulbous nose, the early appearance of diaper rash and all-over eczema, the harbingers of acne. I mean fierce, red as your sunburned ass- face, neck, and back acne. Not just the occasional oh-that's-so-cute-she-has-a-little-zits kind. Nosiree babe. I was going to bear the onus of all-over pimples bursting at the seams of my face like serial murderers freed to create mayhem.

To counteract all these challenges, the parents hoped I would be born with a sense of humor because you never quite know what shit is going to hit your fan. And if I wasn't born with a humor halo above my mucousy head, I would develop the skills necessary to waylay the poop that might insinuate its way into my life. I mean next to my older sibling (who shall remain nameless since she doesn't get pimples, poor grades, or miss proms) I was a total hot mess, so bad, in fact, that my friends and I would get together on weekends and hold cry-ins. Yes, cry-ins. Since we were children of the '60s, we desperately wanted to be hip or hep or whatever the slang was at the time. We'd sit on my bed, talk about Elvis the Pelvis and sing kum-by-yah.Then we'd blow our noses on toilet paper (this prop to denote our realization that in 10 or 40 years this hell called adolescence would be over forever). After that, we'd go downstairs for cookies and milk.

Luckily in between cry-ins, my sense of humor flourished. I'd laugh at sit-coms on TV, good or bad it didn't matter. I'd laugh at Bar Mitzvah boys misreading the Torah. I'd even laugh at funerals. I figured it was my mental duty to hone my sense of humor into a weapon of mass destruction that would save me from the misfortunes that were sure to follow me through life. And as reliable as is the urge to defecate over your worst enemy, the days of my life testified to the need for a winning sense of humor. When I failed sewing, I giggled for days, imagining my teacher basting herself to a crucifix where she would yell out commands like "Don't you even know how to use a scissors?" When I failed to get up the nerve to try out for the school musical, I smiled and returned home where I laughed my way through the "When You Walk Through a Storm "part of Carousel. In short, I laughed at every opportunity I had, reserving my tears and sloppy nose drippings for cry-ins.

So at least among my cry-in colleagues, I was recognized as a survivor. I'd get up in front of my audience of two klutzes and a nerd and say,"Hi, I'm Janice and I'm a Cry Baby." Then I'd cry through my short list of woes for 15 minutes, blubbering in creative and fascinating ways, and concluding with a solemnity prayer that transitioned me back to my Funny Girl status. Barbra Streisand never knew her movie titles told the story of my life, especially Up the Down Staircase and Yentl. Up the Down Staircase recounted the miseries of my high school years and Yentl was close enough to my Hebrew name of Yenta to be a perfect match. As Yentl/Yenta I impersonated a happy daughter when I was really a less-than happy dweeb.

In summary, I'd like to say "not my fault." As you can see, genetics and an unhealthy environment  joined to render me a fake happy girl (if Trump can have his fake news, I can have my fake persona).
So I'm sorry if you missed my humor posts for the past couple weeks. But get over it! I'm baaaaaaack!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do