Skip to main content

The Return of the Glooms

Yeah, I was riding high for a little while, but now the glooms have returned. For me, this means I wake up with the fervent desire to go straight back to #bed. It takes all the will power and the realization that six #dogs and two #cats are depending on me for food, water, and cleanup duty to get up and get dressed.I feel like a mummy who just got rejected from an Ivy League college. Maybe a slow-moving turtle with a hard shell that works like a large screen TV, alternating between scenes of #anxiety and #depression.

These scenes jet by my grey matter and remind me that nothing has gone the way I wanted it to go. I never became the master teacher or librarian, and the writing job--freelance, which means, dive at your own risk--is yet undecided. I can give you at least five editors who were not happy with the jobs I turned in and five more who thought I did a credible job. That kinda cancels out to a big fat zero. Zero is my number of Doubt. I doubt that I'm pretty enough, I doubt that I'm talented enough, I doubt that I'm a decent wife. I even doubt that my pets think I'm doing a passable job.


This is what happens when you're oscillating between anxiety and depression. You don't know whether to just sit tight in your chair and worry about things for the rest of the day or crawl back into bed and pray you fall asleep. Either way you can't win.

Actually this response to #anxiety and #depression is a new variety of the Same Old Thing. When I was younger, I had more resilience so I hauled my anxiety and depression around like it was some new kind of backpack. I figured it came with the territory, and one day when I proved I was smart enough and pretty enough and talented enough, I'd lose the backpack or at least stock it with less heavier items, like confidence and a successful career. Well, things haven 't really worked out for the backpack. It's shifted around somewhat, but it's still dragging me down. Now it thinks it's the perfect accessory and I can't go anywhere without it. It accompanies me on vacations and even bumps it up a notch or two should I get a physical problem like a toothache (it's slowly going away, thank god), a cold, or a sinus headache. The backpack has actually taken on a life of its own. Sometimes it does disguises--it masquerades like a new hat or a scarf. But just when you're feeling like it's finally abandoned you and gone on to someone more miserable, it comes back. "I'm baaaaack," it says with a nasty grin. A few days of the backpack and you're willing to trade it for a Ford Focus. At least you can drive that, but with the backpack, all you can do is pick apart your past mistakes and read it the riot act (which is a combination of anger, tears, and outright lethargy). What I'd really like to do with the backpack is chuck it into the river and watch it sink slowly to the bottom. But I've never worked up the courage to do that. My meds help deal with the backpack, but it doesn't like to be messed with. One too many antidepressants, and the backpack explodes with a violent threat to take on new baggage. The truth is the backpack is a bitch, and if it weren't my bitch I'd be tempted to give it away to the first homeless person I saw. Yeah, I'm that nasty--after all half the homeless people are schizophrenic so I don't think they'd even notice that they'd inherited another problem. Does anyone ever notice I'm in the glooms? My husband, all the "unavailable" callers who try to connect with me on the phone, and possibly my older black schnauzer, who's been through my many moods too many times to count. He just looks at me and silently communicates: This too shall pass.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20180425/exercise-your-blues-away

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do