Skip to main content

OCD and Co.



I can only speak for my own brand of #OCD. I'm not #HowieMandel who has come clean (metamorphically and literally) regarding his #ObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder, and right now I can't think of any other celebs who have been tortured by this anxiety disorder. You may think it's all about checking doors and stoves or counting the number of times you must touch a wall. Or you may think it's a clean-freak disorder in which you must wash your hands a certain number of times or take a shower five times a day until you feel the ugly nervous gnawing in your throat disappear.


Well, my type of #OCD was like none of the above. It's probably not unique in psychiatric circles, but I have never met anyone who behaved in a manner similar to mine. Of course, few people would telegraph this #disorder since it's nothing you'll ever win awards for.  First off, as far as I can figure, my OCD came as the direct result of way too much #anxiety. Some of the #anxiety was genetic, and some I inhaled by osmosis from the wackadoodle household I grew up in. The OCD preceded my chronic #depression by a good five to ten years.

It worked like this. I would be plugging along like a normal person until I either thought I made a mistake or actually did make a mistake. It didn't matter whether the mistake was big or little or true or false. In my mind I had to neutralize the mistake in some way as soon as possible. So, for instance, if I was driving and doing so in an automatic way like so many people do when they're repeating the same route to work or school five days a week, I might get anxious when I realized I couldn't really remember making this turn or getting onto this highway. The fact I couldn't remember this would exacerbate my #anxiety to such a degree that I would have to do something about it ASAP. It didn't matter if I was involved in another activity, such as teaching a class or having a conversation with a colleague. I still would have to simultaneously re-experience in my mind that driving behavior I felt I did poorly; I would have to recall it and correct it. And I couldn't just single out one or two mistakes. I'd have to begin from the start, see myself in the driver's seat backing out of the driveway and making all the moves that took me to my destination. I would have to do this from the top of the driving experience to make certain in my mind that I hadn't run over anyone, caused a collision, or broken any laws.

Trying to do two things simultaneously isn't easy. It's not like talking on the phone and eating a package of oreos at the same time. My sandwich like thinking would increase my tension, not decrease it, so even though reducing my anxiety was the end goal, obsessing over a drive to work or the exact words a professor used when teaching a lesson (while my broken brain was thinking about something else) never really worked in the longterm. It would work only in the shortterm by keeping me sane, but in general the OCD was counterproductive, depleted my energy and my productivity, and isolated me from others. How did it isolate me? Well, you try making intelligent conversation when your mind is spewing out a non-stop internal dialogue of mistakes, retakes, mistakes, retakes.

I wish I could say there was a funny part to OCD, but although touching your nose 20 times might sound goofy and something to laugh about at the local pizza bistro, obsessing about a possible mistake is hardcore nutso. It is not a voluntary activity; it's based on a need to quell anxiety.


And that's how I lived life for a number of years until one day or one month, I suddenly (it seemed that way) outgrew it. The shrink at the time told me this wasn't unusual--it wasn't a miracle that had been answered by a benevolent deity. My explanation for it (although far from scientific) is that my short-term memory was starting to decline. This subtle deterioration was a good thing for someone like me because it meant that my recall of possible mistakes became too numerous for me to keep up with. When my brain gave up this defense mechanism, it was like a breath of fresh air for me for the five seconds before depression crept into the corner of my grey matter.

Some psychologists believe that depression is anxiety turned inward, and for a negative person like me who sees risks and dangers around every corner, there may be a solid basis for this explanation.
Of course depression comes with its own nifty bag of tricks and torments: guilt, melancholy, exaggeration, low self esteem, just to name a few. The best way to beat it is to laugh at it because so much of depression sprouts from seeds of blindness. #Depression usually blinds people to their assets and their capabilities. So when I get the gloomies and everything looks bleak, I have to remind myself to remove the darkened lenses from my eyes or else those lies will hide the truth.


The best way to remove that ugly lens is to grab onto any subject and tell a funny story about it. So, for example, when the gloomies got to me recently, I watched my two "therapy" cats until I saw them stealing a toy from the dogs--a fake banana. Pretty soon in my mind I began to invent the story of The Monkey-Cat from the Jungles of Borneo. Next time it may be how the two cats wrestle with one another.

If you can tell yourself a humorous story, that's great! If you can't and need help, come to this blog and check out my stories. They'll remind you that we all are dysfunctional to some degree. Heal those hurts with humor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga