Skip to main content

Ch. 18 OCS Kids: Me, Me, Me

Although I am childfree because I feel it's the most rational way for me to live, I am not entirely ignorant about kids. I baby sat in my teens for many summers and taught third grade for more years than I should have.

The reason for spotting OCS kids as early as possible is simple. First, you're doing them a favor, and second, self-preservation. Take me for example. If you apply the ever-popular nature/nurture theory, then I was born with certain genetic propensities that created a second-class citizen mold--that is to say, I was destined genetically to lack self-confidence. However this genetic tendency was exacerbated due to my OCS sib. By the time she got done trampling over my lifeless body, I was ready to acquiesce to anything. In short I became a "yes" person in the family. I was smart enough to resent my sibling, but not smart enough to do anything much about her. Basically that was because I deferred to my parents in matters of discipline and decorum. When my parents failed to recognize the OCS child in our midst, I was hung out to dry. Their silence about some of her behaviors was tacit consent for her to continue on with her controlling ways. As a result, those behaviors helped mold a shy, timid child into a shy, timid adult.
m
That's why I stress the importance of spotting the OCS kid quickly and stopping negative behaviors before they taint family relationships.

How do you now you're dealing with an OCS kid? Well, you could use the PIA (pain in the ass) doctrine, but you'd be wrong.You might think that the OCS kid is the one sliding down the school hallways (I recall one of those kids, and he was charismatic in an off-putting way) in an effort to attract attention. Not so! In my opinion as a former teacher,  attention-seeking kids are insecure so they are ill disposed to become "king" of the household or classroom. Don't get me wrong--attention seekers are problem kids, but not in the same destructive ways as an OCS child.

By the time an OCS child gets to elementary school, he has passed through a series of challenges that fall into such categories as academic/intelligence, socialization and bio-physical endurance. The OCS child is no slouch in the classroom, but he is not necessarily the brightest student. His social intelligence is high, however. She can appraise other children quickly and adeptly and arrive at a number of strategies to guarantee her predominance.  The OCS always ingratiates himself with the teacher but not in a teacher's pet obvious way. He's the kid who picks up the chalk the teacher drops or reminds the teacher of a special assembly program. He's no goody-two-shoes so he's not easy to pick out. He may excel in one academic area such as mathematics and become bored at the slower instructional pace the teacher uses. His boredom may lead to class pranks, but in no way is he the class clown. Instead he is too busy sizing up the competition insofar as power ploys are concerned.

The OCS is usually not physically or mentally challenged, but a certain small percentage of OCS kids do use their disability--for instance ADD or dyslexia--to wield power. By default this guarantees them special status, separating them from the majority. The OCS wants to attract positive attention so he uses a special status, talent, the adorable factor, or adaptability to gain points.

Because the early school years are so vital to the development of the OCS, it is smart for parents and teachers to share information so they can better work together. For instance, the OCS who bullies his sibs at home probably doesn't bully his peers in the classroom. One reason is schools are clamping down on bullies; another reason is it doesn't get him the reputation he craves, which is a school record that fairly lights up with normalcy. More than anything the OCS child wants to appear harmless in his interactions with other students--the better to grab the gold ring on the merry go round.

Next time: How to neutralize the OCS child

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The