Skip to main content

Ch. 21 How Mothers Aid and Abet OCSs

When your mother makes the mistake of revealing your sib's IQ but can't seem to remember yours, that's one clue that you not only have a lower IQ than your sib, but you also rate lower.

That's what happened to me when I was a preteen. At the time I didn't recognize that my sib had OCS, but I definitely recognized that my mom had blooped in bringing up IQs and was now struggling to quash her mistake. Her fumbling didn't pass muster and I again had ammunition to believe I was a second-class citizen.

Another time my sister was charged with setting up the Old Bell & Howell projector to show some footage of when the family lived in Belleville, Illinois. It wasn't an easy task so when she succeeded, my mother went ga-ga over her job. Naturally I heard this compliment and made the unfair comparison that I would never be able to thread the projector as well as my sib. Ironically I had to learn how to do this when I attended library school.. I may not have been the fastest "gun" in the West, but I managed to learn the technique. Of course it was 20 years later, but let's not talk about that.


Why am I picking on mothers? Don't fathers play a role in putting the OCS sib on a pedestal? Fathers definitely can enable the OCS sib to rule the roost, but mothers, even working moms, usually spend more time with their kids than dads do. So that's why mothers can be unwilling accomplices.

Look around your friends, neighbors and relatives and I bet you can now spot the mothers who are reinforcing OCS behavior. Even strangers are easy to spot. Everyone has been in the supermarket and watched a mother try to pacify her screaming toddler. She's embarrassed, the other shoppers are annoyed, and the kid is threatening to hold his breath. Why is he pulling a temper tantrum? Now I don't know what the child parenting mavens would say, but I do know that catering to the child's wish for a candy cane, a package of fritos, or whatever he wants at the moment will transfer a lot of power over to the child--power that can accumulate until, presto, an OCS is born.

Here's another example inspired by Hollywood's production of "1001 Dalmatians." Millions of children saw this film, and the reports from pet stores and shelters reveal a sad truth. Many kids talked their parents into getting them a dalmatian puppy. That's a lot of power, and it's not good for OCS sibs to get an opportunity to pressure their parents into something they probably don't want. (It's also bad for the puppy, who gets neglected when the novelty wears off and the OCS sib moves on to bigger challenges.)

Next time: The OCS adult who changed my life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The