Skip to main content

Ch 22 The OCS Adult Who Changed My Life

She was an imposing figure of a grade school teacher who waltzed into the classroom with the utmost confidence. She wore brightly-colored, loose-fitting, off-the-rack dresses as though they were designer creations. One glance and she could quiet 26 jabbering juveniles. In fact one glance from her and I was putty; she was that authoritarian. To say I liked her would be incorrect. But I did respect her and envy her talent for transferring herself into the quintessential disciplinarian. A heavy woman, her extra pounds added to her strength and ability to intimidate.

I wanted to be her--at least for the six weeks of student teaching. I thought that maybe just maybe if I hung around her and observed her techniques--emulating her every move--I would succeed. I had to succeed if I wanted to apply for teaching positions, earn a salary and move out of my parent's house. I didn't think beyond those short-term goals.

Two other students also were serving internships at the same school in Orange, New Jersey, and for the life of me I can't remember their names. But I do remember that right from the start I knew they would be better than me. I had so little insight into myself that I was blind to the truth: I did not love kids, which accounted for much of my less than enthusiastic attitude about student teaching. I had made a basic mistake: following a course of study that was convenience but not anything I could be passionate about.

Another stressor pushing me toward depression was that I was headed toward a breakup with the guy I had been dating. He would end up being the last nail in my coffin.

 The teaching assignment was unique in that the kids--all of them African American--had to learn a new reading program called ITA (initial teaching alphabet). It was a mix of phonics and different word spellings to enable children to read more easily. Naturally I too had to learn a whole new way of writing words. It wasn't hard, just a bit weird. Also I was assigned to team teach science, which meant that once or twice a week I had to plan a science lesson that would excite kids into becoming little Louis Pasteurs and Madame Curies.

These "innovative" methods added to my depression, but the real deal breaker was my weakness in discipline. Mrs. B. went through all the motions of "helping" me but as soon as she left the room, the kids would go wild. I think they looked at me as a substitute teacher--someone who they could ignore.  To this day I believe Mrs. B was thrilled that I was unable to keep these kids in line. It not only made her look  better, but it also emphasized a weakness that would dog me throughout my entire teaching career. I began to see that I might be a square peg trying desperately to fit into a round hole,

Of course Mrs. B was an OCS adult. I never got to know her personal history, but professionally she acted like she was ruling a small country. Of course I didn't know the term OCS back then. I just regarded her as someone very controlling who wasn't about to help anyone out, least of all a wannabe teacher drowning in her own ignorance.

At the end of my internship Mrs. B and my supervisor (from the college) were to give me a grade. I knew I wasn't doing great, but I figured that the lack of criticism meant I'd probably end up with a B. Imagine my surprise when Mrs. B gave me the news that I got a C+. She said the college supervisor wanted to give me a C but Mrs. B favored a B- so they compromised. I didn't know what to think or who to blame, but I  believed I never would get a job with a C in student teaching. I had four years' worth of As in  educational theory and liberal arts courses, but it had come down to this: A lousy grade in the execution. I had to remedy this situation somehow, and I did, but that's another story.

The bottom line was that unlike most OCS adults, Mrs. B's evaluation actually helped me. The only problem was my persistence and stubbornness.

More on Mrs. B next time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The