Skip to main content

Part 6 Only Child Syndrome: Friends Who Reek of It

It would probably take a psychiatrist to tease out all the reasons why I seem to attract friends with OCS, but since junior high I've had a series of girlfriends who, when it comes right down to it, don't give a fig leaf about me.

In 8th grade it was Sheila. Smart with average looks, she didn't take long to cut me down to size. It came natural to her.  During our friendship I had the advantage of knowing her parents and sibs. Despite being the youngest in the family, Sheila was the only girl. I  watched in awe as she bossed her older brothers around, making them jump through hoops while critiquing their performance or behavior. Her family was more than willing to tolerate her OCS because first of all, they weren't aware she was wielding all this power, and second, the parents' immigrant tradition had trickled down to their children-- the brothers were culturally hardwired to put their sister on a pedestal.

 However, I was not quite so amenable to being ordered around by someone outside the immediate family. I had to deal with my sister, but another dictator I didn't want. Yet Sheila got her pound of flesh from me too. Along with a nose for collecting boyfriends, she was a wannabe actress. She tried out for everything--school musicals, choir, talent shows, whatever--and she succeeded most of the time. But it was a swim club production that really caused her OCS to clash head-on with my abilities. The camp directors were drafting teens to appear in skits and scenes from old or unknown plays. As soon as she learned that I was answering the casting call, Sheila made it her business to try out too.  As fate would have it, I actually got the role of a farmer because I was able to inject a yodel into my voice. Sheila was livid--the first crack in a relationship that heretofore had given her total advantage. A second erosion of our friendship occurred when she organized a kind of ladies-in-waiting group around her who would do her bidding without asking. Thankfully she excluded me, probably guessing I'd be more trouble than I was worth.


As I said before, my OCS-spotting skills were late in development so college relationships reflected that social backwardness. In hindsight at least two of my close college friends were weaving OCS webs around me for many months. But only one ripped the rug right from under my feet. Natalie was a statuesque brunette, inclined to be a little zaftig, but with long thick hair and a porcelain complexion that more than compensated for her lesser features. I should have known better to travel with her to Fort Lauderdale during the Christmas season after our earlier weekend fiasco in New York's Catskills Mountains. That mess I attributed to a lack of eligible men. I gave both of us the benefit of the doubt since it almost dissolved into a cat fight over some guy employed as the hotel recreation director. By check-out time we not only were arguing about trivia, but we had tossed our weekend "catch" into the refuse pile.

The horror show in Florida topped anything I might have imagined. The first night the two of us got dressed up and went to a local cocktail lounge where college kids supposedly hung out. It didn't take but an hour until Natalie had grabbed herself a guy. They were making plans for the week--plans that didn't include me. Back then I was far from independent. My shyness meant it was difficult for me to do things by myself. So when I heard that Natalie was trading me in for a male roommate, I got scared and then angry. I also had picked up some germs aboard American's Flight 666 from Newark to Fort Lauderdale and had a doozie of a cold. I was definitely not up for spending the week by myself with no companionship beyond a Fodor's Guide to Florida. I figured that when Natalie realized how upset I was she would modify her plans to include me.  But no!!!! Her silence told me everything I needed to know. She didn't care what I did as long as I did not interfere with her new boyfriend. So I took the next flight to NJ (in a snowstorm) and kissed our friendship goodbye.

How could I have handled this better? Yes, but only if I'd known that Natalie was an OCS person. Then. I would have chosen a travel partner who didn't  compete 100 percent of the time. Of course that would have meant acquiring emotional smarts I didn't yet have.

Next time an inside look into my sib's devious machinations as an OCS person. Formidable, as the French say!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga