Skip to main content

Part 8 Only Child Syndrome: I Finally Got the Message!

When we last left my sister, she was ignoring me per usual. (OCS people are excellent ignorers due to their innate ability to focus entirely on their own inner dialogue.) Playing bridge 24/7 helped her achieve her goal, but I daresay even if she loathed bridge, she would have found a way to thumb her nose at me.

Oh yes, the Accident. This occurred in the northern regions of Arizona in Flagstaff where winter snow bears the brunt of the bad weather news. My niece, who was in her twenties, was a passenger (sans seatbelts ) in a serious accident that injured her spine. This collision caused my sister to break her OCS promise never to acknowledge me. She had  to call for the simple reason that she needed me to do her bidding.

Naturally she ordered me to pick up her injured daughter (who was being air lifted from the Flagstaff hospital ER to Scottsdale's airport. The plan was to take her to a local doctor and have her injuries assessed. I complied, still playing the docile, malleable sib (really, what else could I do without coming off as a true bitch) and I was told that my niece was only a hair away from being a paraplegic. We immediately hospitalized her at a world-renown hospital that specializes in spine and nerve injuries (Barrow Neurological Center in Phoenix).

My sister and her husband flew out to Arizona. At first my niece didn't want to speak to her mother, and when curiosity prompted me to ask why not, the niece replied that her mother was too controlling. (No surprise here that --that was my first hard clue that I was dealing with a flagrant case of OCS). Surgery fixed the medical problem, but the niece had to remain in the hospital for a few days. Meanwhile my sib and her husband, more relaxed now that the crisis had retreated, carried out their parental duties. They also were forced to socialize with the enemy camp.

My husband and I met them for dinners and updates on the niece's progress. Although my sib was genuinely upset about her daughter's injuries she found the time and energy to insult me and the entire Grand Canyon state. She visited my home, where I had recently relocated, and walked through the entire ranch house without making a comment. It was like she was on auto pilot and her speech controls hadn't been properly adjusted. I thought perhaps I might have missed something emanating from her lips, but my husband reassured me later on that my hearing was fine, and no, she did not say a word about the house nor did she thank us for our part in seeing that her daughter got the best care possible.

 A verbal thank you would have been the usual response for normal people, but for my sib, it was an exclusionary clause on her OCS policy. Of course it didn't help that for three straight days it rained--weather that my sib used to further denigrate the state although she knew as well as I did, that wetness was about as common to Phoenix as sun to New Jersey.

As I am wont to do, after they flew back to NJ  I  reflected on the extraordinary events that brought my sib to Arizona for a second time. Her prior behaviors started to make sense with the remaining pieces of the jig-saw puzzle that had finally fallen into place. The picture was now complete: My sib was a genuine OCS, and I would have to cope with that reality for as long as we maintained a relationship.


Back in New Jersey and in between marathon bridge session my sib concentrated on suing the driver for his part in the accident. Luckily I escaped any legal blame, but considering her litigation history I'd say we were damn smart to allow her to crawl around on the floor before she was hospitalized.

I learned all this from my mother who was neutral much like Switzerland. Dad swallowed the OCS manifestations my sister was busily honing, splitting his free time between extolling my sister's married-with-children lifestyle and knocking my abandonment of NJ to shlep to the wilds of Arizona.

Next installment: My OCS sib takes on the Grim Reaper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do