Skip to main content

Post 13: OCS: These Zebras Don't Change Their Stripes

Consistency is something you can count on with the OCS adult. In a weird way they're predictable.
When the behavior or the offense is minor, you often feel bored or taken advantage of. For example, everyone knows the story of Cinderella. Well, the stepmother is an OCS adult with nasty intents. She forces Cinderella to work like a slave, won't allow her to go to the ball and tries to prevent the prince from fitting the glass slipper on Cinderella's foot. She's only interested in her own agenda, no doubt about it, but what certifies her as an OCS is her self-aggrandizing perspective.

My sib had similar characteristics. She chose a nursing home with adequate credentials, but after seeing the individual care mom received, she failed to look at it from mom's perspective. Due to her dementia, Mom needed even more of the  attention and compassion she received as a normal functioning adult.

If you don't already know this, nursing homes are really energized by the number of nurse assistants present. At least in my mother's dementia unit, the charge nurse sat behind a tall circular station and wrote notes. Constantly. I guess they were necessary but to visitors, the nurse's isolation from her patients insulted the supposed philosophy of a dementia unit.

 And when something practical had to be done--such as take a patient to the bathroom or bathe a patient, the nurse assistant was elected to do this. Naturally there was a shortage of assistants, so I suggested to my sib that she hire an assistant for extra hours to give Mom a more stimulating day -take her outside when the weather was mild, talk to her like a friend, maybe even accompany her on a trip outside the nursing home. My sib was not openly hostile to the recommendation, but I could see her brain reluctantly computing the cost. I told her that it was Mom's money, not hers, and she should be using it to enhance her quality of life. Since she was the only one who could write checks on mom's account, she was the supreme decision maker, and I could tell she loved that power trip.

Months pass--I call my mom every day and the hired assistant makes sure she gets to talk to me. Mom's verbal abilities are quickly fading, and time is not on our side. From what I gather from the nurse assistant, my sister visits once a week. Mom says my sister plays the piano for the unit, and this is, I must admit, a group-minded contribution. But Mom would rather have the sib spend time with just her. I can't blame her--she gets few visitors to break up the monotony. I visit about 3 to 4 times a year and spend the time shuttling back and forth from my sister's house in East Brunswick to the nursing home in Somerset. I appreciate that  the sib allows me to stay at her house and use her car (which I fuel and once repair), but she hardly ever accompanies me to see Mom. Time hurls us forward, and then, when I think it cannot get much worse, it does.

 By now, Mom is in a wheelchair, no longer mobile, ,which the staff are happy about since there's less chance that she can reach up with her arm and set off the fire alarm (this move on my mom's part would be funny if it weren't for the context). I speak to the nurse assistant frequently so I'm not surprised when she tells me the nursing home has new owners. I'm hopeful that things may now improve, but my sib feels just the opposite. In emails back and forth she says she's removing mom from this nursing home and putting her in a "better one" in West Orange. I call her reaction "hysterical" and write a long email beseeching her not to take a 90-year-old terminally-ill woman away from a familiar environment and expose her to a new setting and new staff. This will negatively impact her health, I stress. My sib does not reply. I implore her to respect my wishes.

A few days later I get a call from the nurse assistant we hired and she tells me in between sobs that my sister took my mom and her clothes away and is moving my mom to West Orange. I cannot believe my sib went against my well articulated wishes. When I ask her later on why she did it, she says "because I could."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga