Skip to main content

The Monster OCS Child: Gretel in the Fairy Tale Hansel and Gretel

Remember the innocent tale of Hansel and Gretel? When you were a kid, you probably heard the sanitized version, which went something like this: Hansel and Gretel get lost in the woods, but fortunately Gretel left a path of stones to find their way home. But first the two sibs get hungry and decide to go to a witch's house conveniently made of candy. The ugly hag is nice at first, but then she gets nasty and threatens to throw the two kids in the oven. Before she is able to carry out her plan, Gretel pushes the witch into the oven. The children quickly leave the house, follow the path of stones and return home. And, of course, everyone lives happily after. But then you knew that.

Actually the original Grimm fairy tale is a lot more shocking. It's more like Freddie Krueger Slashes His Way Up and Down Elm St. Krueger is the legendary monster most of us have seen on movies. An OCS child if left undisciplined can be a monster too. Watch what happens when we add more of Grimm's plot to the tale and Gretel becomes the OCS sib:

Once upon a time the parents of Hansel and Gretel battle a terrible famine in their town. The parents decide that Hansel and Gretel are giving them a lot of grief so they might as well encourage the two to leave home. After all, it's two more mouths to feed, and maybe the pair can find enough food in the forest. So Hansel and Gretel leave home but not before taking along some resources. Gretel grabs some bread crumbs, and Hansel fills his pockets with some white pebbles.

Off they go into the dark and scary woods. Hansel would like to have fun, but Gretel, an OCS sib, doesn't like hanging out with Hansel. She mocks his interest in the stars, plants, and nature in general.  To Gretel, Hansel is just a big pain in the ass who if she didn't constantly watch would steal her thunder.  Why does she have to be stuck with him when she'd rather be alone? Maybe if she gets lucky, he'll lag behind sniffing the leaves and gazing at butterflies. Maybe he'll get good and lost! So Gretel walks in a determined way, thinking all the while about how she'll look so beautiful in her Christmas finery, how she's going to save her allowance and buy a cape to go with her dress, and how she hates Hansel.

Meanwhile Hansel is trailing behind, but not for the reason Gretel thinks. He's dropping the white pebbles so they can find their way back home. Suddenly Hansel looks up from the ground and sees Gretel staring ahead at an odd-shaped house of twigs. "I'm hungry," she says, not bothering to ask Hansel if he were too. "I'm going inside this house and ask for some tarts or donuts."

"I don't think it's safe," says Hansel. "I can see through the window that the owner is an old hag with thousands of wrinkles and an evil grin. She could be big trouble."

Naturally Gretel doesn't bother listening to her brother. She knocks on the door, but doesn't even wait to be acknowledged. She walks in, asks for food and stands there gawking at the witch and waiting for her to supply her with sweet delicacies. Meanwhile Hansel peers into the house, assesses the situation and concludes that Gretel is headed for trouble. So he decides to go in the twig house.

"Hi there," says the old crone. "Wow, now I have two of you delicious dummies. I haven't tasted  a doubleheader in ages."

"What you mean," says Gretel, correcting the crone, "is you haven't had many guests in a while."

"I know what I'm saying," says the witch as she rips off her apron and reveals a huge knife. "Now all I need decide is whether to cut you two up before I throw you into the oven."

Gretel is surprised that this old lady has the nerve to threaten her so she gets angry and throws the bread crumbs in the old crone's face. This unexpected move rattles the witch and gives Hansel the chance he was waiting for: to push the witch into the open oven. Gretel also helps by slamming the oven door shut.

"Oweeeeeeeeeeee" screams the monster. "You two were too smart for me. I thought you'd be pushovers since you hate each other." Hansel and Gretel clap as the witch falls silent.

"We're not going to die after all," says Gretel. "I'll get to go home and listen to Beyonce on my Ipod. But how will we ever find our way back? I was too busy daydreaming and don't remember the path."

"But I do," says Hansel.  "I also dropped pebbles along the way so we should be able to make it home in no time."

"Well, aren't you the cool one today, mister," says Gretel. "I guess two ARE better than one."

And they lived happily ever after--now that Gretel realizes she needs help to stay alive so she can buy cute clothes and go to the prom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Never Had a Nickname

They say it's the little things in life that destroy marriages: he doesn't lower the toilet seat; she never listens to his work anecdotes; he eats with his fingers; she never can find her car keys. The same adage applies to self image or self concept. It's the little things that can build or destroy egos. Although my parents had baby names for me that they used at times--for example, "cookie" and "pussycat," these never morphed into appropriate adult nick names. For instance, no one in my house ever called me Jan. That would have been the most common and appropriate nickname for "Janice," but no one ever came up with it. Was it a severe lack of creativity? I don't think so. In hindsight it said more about parenting style than it did about their opinion of me. My parents ran a rather strict household. We laughed but it was either behind the parents' backs or at a time when my father decreed a joke or anecdote was funny. My point is tha

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Bitching is My Life

Yeah, This is another one of my bitch/gripe essays. How can I keep up the challenging pace? It’s not easy but I work at it. I try to find something negative in everything I see and do. And it works for me. Just yesterday in AZ everyone woke up to a blue sky and warm temps, but I quickly dispensed with that happy development. All I had to do was walk out on our fake grass and I was hit with one big negative after the other. Our fake grass seems to have been infected with real grass and the two don’t complement each other. So I bitched about that over breakfast and pretty soon I had my husband outside pulling out the real stuff. Boy was he miserable! But I scored again! Then in the afternoon I went to the supermarket, and sure enough, I found something else to gripe about. It’s an upscale store. I mean it’s got a Starbucks, a salad bar, about a million bottles of French and domestic wine…..and a homeless guy hanging around at one of the exits. That’s disgusting. Maybe most people do