Skip to main content

Pets or People?

The other day my husband out of a clear blue sky told me to blog about how I love my dogs more than him. He wasn't angry or judgmental, just resigned. It sounds terrible, I know, especially when you write it down and use a comparative conjunction to emphasize how big a deal it is.

I'm stalling, however. The truth is-my husband is right. His greatest blunder? He's not an animal. As a kid, I would agonize if my ginger neutered male didn't come in the house when I called him. Depending on your age, you may recall that those were the days when most owners let their cats wander in the immediate neighborhood. As a result, they often came back injured by cat fights, wet from rain or snow, or pregnant. Or sometimes they didn't come back at all.

I don't know why we made that decision to let them free roam, but since my parents ruled, I had to go along with it as well. Many was the night when I tearfully went to bed hoping against hope that my cat would be there hungry and healthy in the a.m. He was my first pet, and I loved him more than anything. Luckily he lived a pretty long life and died of natural causes.

From the moment I got my first schnauzer, Maude, about two years after I married, I knew that taking care of this dog and making sure no harm came to her would be the most important goal in my life. It beat out trying to establish a career as well as trying to make the marriage work. That's the truth. Actually the only reason I moved from an apartment into a house was to have a dog. My husband said that he feared the day when Maude would die because he didn't know if I'd be able to cope. He was half right. I was depressed for weeks following Maude's death at age 13 from heart problems, but I had another dog in place so the heaviness eventually dissipated and life went on .But the ache lasted a long time, and every time my husband mentioned Maude at social events, I felt depressed that I hadn't been able to help her rally from her cardiac problems.

I'm the kind of woman who treats her pets as if they are human babies. I don't mean that I celebrate their birthdays and bake them treats. It's a health status thing. I get worried and fear the worst when they show signs of sickness. I like to be on top of their health problems, and sometimes I fail.. It's then that I kick myself metaphorically--and wish that I could do it literally. Ironically it's then that I seek solace from my husband, and he usually comes through, sharing the burden of loss and grief.

Fortunately my husband has never been sick with anything more than a cold. So I don't have to worry about dealing with a chronic illness he might have. And he's good about going for regular doctor visits, taking meds, and undergoing recommended tests. Maybe that's why I can divert my energies toward my pets. Also, I've never been seriously sick if you don't count all the times I've struggled with depression. Of course my pets are part of my psycho-therapy so when they're down, I'm down as well.

But the real reason I love my pets more than my husband is that comparing pets with people is like comparing apples to oranges. Pets always remain helpless babies in my eyes, and husbands are adults fully capable of directing their energies toward their own health care.

So my "babies" will always have a special place in my hierarchy of hopes, wishes and desires. And my husband will be there to get me through the tough times when the future looks grim or one of my babies fades into the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga