Skip to main content

Deconstructing My Neurosis

Your psychiatrist will never require this of you, but at some time in your checkered career of anxiety and depression management, it would be wise to deconstruct your neurosis--that is find out what exacerbates it and what diminishes the symptoms.

I'm deconstructing on a regular basis because it helps me to place blame where it should go. Blame is a big thing in my world because unless I examine the genesis of it, I tend to wallow in it. Yes, self-blame can whittle me down to the equivalent of a toothpick. And we all know where toothpicks end up, right? Yes, dear, it's in the circular file along with my self-respect and self-image.

Let's start with genes. My genetic inheritance could be better. First off, my dad was a piece of work. He criticized everyone and everything. Once during a nasty interchange with my sister, she thought she'd hurt my delicate ego by stating that "Dad never liked your husband." This, of course, was no surprise to me. My rebuttal: "Dad never liked anyone, including your husband too."

It's true. I wasn't making up anything. If my sister had really thought it out, she never would have used that barb. When it comes down to it, my sister's academic achievements far outdistance her common sense. I think all that contract bridge playing is beginning to scramble her mind. She uses logic as the basis for her arguments, and that's ridiculous. Family relationships never draw on logic. They are usually based on childish resentments such as "Why wasn't my baby book filled in as completely as my sister's? " (Never mind that you were busy caring for two kids instead of one--that's out and out bias and I protest and will continue my temper tantrums ad infinitum.)

 As for the genetic contribution of my mother, I'd have to say that shy modesty, non-assertive behavior and a predilection for book reading were what she brought to the table. I never once heard her tell my father to F.... Off, and that's a mistake because a few times I think he was really waiting for her to express her dissatisfaction in a crude and disgusting way.

Okay. let's now go on to environment. How did that affect the development of my neurosis? How could it not! When you have two  out of three people in your home reminding you that you are a moody, unattractive nobody, you tend to go with the flow. You accept their truth as yours, and not to be outdone by others, you begin a campaign of self destruction that lasts for the remainder of your tenure with The Family. By the time my husband discovered that I was hobbling around with the burden of negativity on my back, it was too late for him to back out of the relationship. Besides, his family wouldn't win any prizes either.

The last part of every psychological deconstruction (I believe experts refer to it as a psychological autopsy but that sounds like I've died and gone to purgatory and that makes me feel depressed, so let's leave it at deconstruction) focuses on relationships beyond family members. How have they shaped your neurosis? Well, teachers, for one, definitely did. Most of them pumped up my ego, but the few that didn't praise my efforts made me feel like a wack job. And that is never good. Your take-away from those people is you're good on the outside, but on the inside, there's an evil/inferior core that will ignite eventually and that fire will burn and burn until you're just a mass of ashes. Then you'll have to put yourself together again, and, whew! that's exhausting. The same goes for friends. A few of them gnaw away at your self-image and force you to take a good look at yourself. Now that business of "taking a good look at yourself" is fine for normally balanced folk, but dysfunctional people (like me) examine themselves with a microscope. Throw in some weird mirrors you'd see in a fun house and you pretty much can see that distortion is the name of the game. After a few weeks of taking a good look at yourself, you're just a puddle of protoplasm with a dynamite GPA.

My neurosis also was decimated by acne. Now you wouldn't think a common little skin ailment like acne would turn me into an obsessive, but it did. Not only that, it cut off my access to chocolate and all those good hormones like endorphins that you supposedly get from a few Hershey bars. Sadly, I didn't have a slight case of acne. It pretty much covered my face except, strangely enough, it excluded my forehead. But few people talk to your forehead. I know it cost me dates and that in itself damaged my ego and made me the unconfident person I am today. But there's always a silver lining to angry pustules of greasy eczema. It's called a skin peel and I got it under the pretext of preventing skin cancer. So I didn't have to feel like some la-di-da aesthetic convert. Yes, my friendly dermatologist, who has removed at least two dozen skin cancers on various parts of my body, gave me a freebie. It's referred to as a skin peel, but I call it a new lease on life. I now can go anywhere without makeup and people still look at me in horror, but now I know it's because I look old without makeup, not because I look disgusting due to red, angry bumps all over my face.

So, I've shared my secret deconstructing methods. Now it's time for you to contribute to the psychological labyrinth of manic depression, bipolarity, OCD, and just plain anxiety neuroses. A good deconstruction is analogous to what spa mavens refer to as a de-toxing. Only it doesn't cost you a zillion dollars. Do it. You'll feel so much better shifting the blame from yourself to the outside world! You'll be sorry you didn't come up with that solution earlier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs and Cats: Tales that Strike Terror in the Hearts of Owners

I just returned from the #veterinarian with Maddie, my eight-year-old #schnauzer with valley fever. She's on a half dose of her meds, and we're seeing if this has any positive or negative influence on the course of the #disease. Valley fever is a plague in the Southwest, especially Arizona, and it's one of the crazier #fungal diseases out there. For instance, Maddie never showed any #discernible symptoms but when I chanced to test her for the disease, she showed a high titre. So either the test was really wrong-----about three times in a row--or else Maddie's immune system is so good that it's #clobbering the disease but not ridding the body of it. This is a long way of stating the obvious. Although dogs like Maddie as well as cats, miniature horses and even  bunnies are regularly being used as #therapy animals at nursing homes, hospitals, schools, and all kinds of venues, they also are capable of traumatizing people or just plain breaking their heart. Wai

Are You Successful? Take this Test and Find Out

I grew up never believing I was as good or as #successful as the next guy, and it's a common problem or so my shrinks seem to think (some of these good doctors have earned six-figure salaries on just this one patient complaint alone).  But after all these years of #consigning myself to the role of second-class citizen, I've figured out that success is just one of those meaningless words--like #beautiful or wonderful--that can be tweaked any way you want it. In other words, success is what you make of it.  Take our #President for example. Here's a man who practically reeks of success by anyone's definition. He's built hotels, put together company #buyouts/mergers, fathered children, married, and earned the title of Most Important Person in the Land (perhaps the Globe). On the other hand, we could, if we wanted, tweak the word success into its opposite: failure. Trump has been divorced several times, declared #bankruptcy, been sued by countless litiga

Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot?

In the Scottish dialect of the old New Year's Eve song Auld Lang Syne, the composer posits the question: Should old acquaintances be forgot? The short answer to this is "Sometimes." One example will suffice. A "friend" of mine emailed me the other day and although she is not a writer, her words spoke plenty. Her first rebuke was that I don't answer her calls, and this is a claim I cannot deny. But the accusation was caustic, mean-spirited--it was as if I had neglected to visit her in the hospital, that's how grievous my omission was. She insinuated so much by those few harsh words. Why did she call? Purportedly to inform me of her physical status and that of her dog Murph. Being the obedient child I still am, I did call her afterwards, and we spoke. Mostly S spoke of her new illness--osteoarthritis of the spine--and her dog's possible diagnosis of valley fever. I listened and listened and listened until I just couldn't take it any more. The